Want to make a difference toward breast cancer prevention in Massachusetts? Do you have a few minutes to make a phone call or send an email and/or letter? Become part of our advocacy network and join volunteers across the state working towards breast cancer prevention!
As a volunteer in our action network, you can help with annual special events, support policy initiatives to reduce exposure to known and suspected breast carcinogens, help to direct state and federal resources toward breast cancer prevention research, and more. By offering the variety of volunteer opportunities below, we do our best to match your interests, strengths, and availability. If you have questions or an idea that is not listed, we would be happy to speak with you. For all of the activities listed below, we can offer talking points, sample letters, fact sheets, brochures, etc.
If any of these opportunities look like a good match for you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Interested Volunteer” and provide:
- Your contact information (full name, address, phone number, and email address)
- Which volunteer opportunities you prefer
- Your availability (times and/or dates)
We will be in touch with you shortly to coordinate your volunteer activities!
Here are some opportunities for volunteers who wish to exercise their writing abilities to educate the public or push for environmental health legislation.
Letters to the Editor
Compose a letter to the editor for your local newspaper. You can get the word out to your community about the importance of increased attention to environmental causation and prevention of breast cancer, pushing for environmental health legislation, etc. Use the knowledge and resources from our website combined with your passion for breast cancer prevention to educate the public about these issues!
Write for our eNewsletter
Write about a current event, research update, or your opinion on the environmental causation of breast cancer and true prevention and submit it for consideration of being included in our eNewsletter. Visit our eNewsletter archives for example articles.
Contact your Legislators
Click here for information on contacting your state legislators.
Independent Fundraising Events & Presentations
Host an independent fundraising event
- Pick an activity you like to do. Some options include walking, running, biking, swimming, jumping rope, hula hooping, knitting, reading, and more! Whatever your hobby, it can be made into a fundraiser!
- Engage your friends to participate virtually.
- Set a date and let MBCC know about it.
- Start collecting pledges for miles walked, laps swam, books read, etc. We can provide you with materials such as flyers, fact sheets, sample fundraising letters, etc.
- Hold the virtual event.
- Mail-in proceeds to the MBCC office. We will express our gratitude in our eNewsletter and social media outlets!
Host a virtual letter-writing party
- Pick: a bill or two that you are especially passionate about.
- Plan: set a date, invite your friends to write letters to your congressmen asking them to reintroduce, support, or sponsor your chosen legislation.
- Write: connect virtually (via FaceTime or Zoom) with your friend and family to write your letters together and make your voices heard! Contact us if you’d like assistance with creating a sample letter to copy.
Special Event Volunteers
We are always looking for new volunteers to help out with the preparation for and running of our events. Some possible activities include:
Contact colleges, health clubs, fitness groups, businesses, and more to help create teams for our annual summer Against the Tide events.