By offering the variety of volunteer opportunities below, we do our best to match your interests, strengths, and availability as a valued volunteer. If you have any questions, or an idea for an action that is not listed, we would be happy to speak with you! For all of the activities listed below, we can offer full support such as talking points, sample letters, fact sheets, brochures, etc.
If any of these opportunities look like they would be a good match for you, please email Marianne Hutchings at email@example.com. In the subject line write, “Interested Volunteer” and provide:
- Your contact information (full name, address, phone number, and preferred email address to reach you)
- Which opportunities you are interested in
- What your time/date availability is
- How many hours you can commit to
We will be in touch with you shortly to coordinate your volunteer activities with our upcoming events!
Special Event Volunteers
We are always looking to new volunteers to help out with the preparation for and running of our events. Some possible activities include:
Contact colleges, health clubs, fitness groups, businesses, and more to help create teams for our two annual summer Against the Tide events in Brewster and Hopkinton, MA
Assist with set-up before the event, work at the registration desk, be our event photographer, assist with event tear-down, and more (inquire about additional opportunities for specific events)
Assist with event database development
Here are some opportunities for volunteers who wish to exercise their writing abilities to educate the public or push for environmental health legislation.
Letters to the Editor
Compose a letter to the editor for your local newspaper. You can get the word out to your community about the importance of increased attention to environmental causation and prevention of breast cancer, pushing for environmental health legislation, etc. Visit our Be Informed pages for information. You can also visit our Recent News page for current news. Use the knowledge and resources from our website, add it to your passion for breast cancer prevention, and educate the public about these issues!
Write for our eNewsletter
Write about a current event, research update, or your opinion on environmental causation of breast cancer and true prevention and submit it for consideration of being included in our eNewsletter. Visit our eNewsletter archives for example articles.
Contact your Legislators
Independent Fundraising Events & Presentations
Host an Independent Fundraising Event
- Pick an activity you like to do. Some options include walking, running, biking, swimming, jumpking rope, hula hooping, knitting, reading, and more! Whatever your hobby, it can be made into a fundraiser!
- Round up some friends to participate.
- Set a date and let MBCC know about it.
- Start collecting pledges for miles walked, laps swum, books read, etc. We can provide you with materials such as flyers, fact sheets, sample fundraising letters, etc.
- Hold the event.
- Mail in proceeds to the MBCC office. We will express our gratitude in our eNewsletter and social media sites!
Host a Letter-Writing Party
- Get informed on the status of proposed environmental health bills.
- Pick a bill or two that you are especially passionate about.
- Plan: set a date, invite your friends to write letters to your congressmen asking them to reintroduce, support, or sponsor your chosen legislation.
- Prepare: check out our tips for contacting your legislators to get contact information for relevant senators and representatives before your event. Make sure you have plenty of paper, envelopes, stamps, and pens. Pick up some h’oeuvres and refreshments, or make it a potluck! Contact us if you’d like assistance with creating a sample letter to copy.
Arrange a Presentation in your Community