Fundraising Tips & Tools
Thank you for agreeing to fundraise for Against the Tide! This empowering and uplifting half-day event is dedicated to raising funds toward ending breast cancer through prevention.
Scroll down for a list of tips you can use now in helping you reach your fundraising goals (or click the button below to download this list). If you still have questions or need more ideas on promoting Against the Tide in your community, please contact Cheryl Osimo, Executive Director at 508-246-3047 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tips to help you Go for the Gold!
- Set a fundraising goal. Challenge yourself and aim high (e.g. $500 – $1,000). Let everyone know this is your goal.Ask one person a day to sponsor you and don’t be afraid to ask! People like to help out and are usually supportive and very generous.
- Ask for a pledge of at least $20. Most people will be able to give that much or more. If they can’t, they’ll let you know. Every donation, large or small, counts.
- Set up a pledge page through MBCC’s First Giving website, allowing your supporters to safely donate online. You can add photos and a personal message, and track your fundraising progress.
- Send a fundraising letter to everyone in your address book and on your e-mail list. Explain why you are participating and state your fundraising goal. Consider including a self addressed stamped envelope, making it easier to send back a donation. If you’ve participated before, explain why you are doing it again, thank them for their past support and let them know your new goal for this year.
- Record a message about the event on your answering machine or voicemail.
- Hang your pledge sheet up along with a poster in a visible area at work or school. Your colleagues will see it and make a pledge without you having to ask.
- Help potential donors visualize what the event is like. If you participated in previous years and have photos, copy and use them in your fundraising letters.
- Double your pledges! Find out if your company has a matching gift program by contacting your Human Resources Department. Also mention this to your sponsors. Their employers may also have a program they can take advantage of and increase your pledges.
- If you know someone who likes to swim or walk, encourage her/him to become a Designated Swimmer/Walker and help her/him raise money.
- If you are participating on behalf of a company or organization, set up a competition between departments to see who can raise the most money. Offer a prize for winners or have one department take the other out for lunch.
- Ask local businesses that you frequent for a donation. They may want to sponsor you! Or ask if you can leave a poster and a small donations jar at the cash register.
- Coordinate a bake sale, yard sale, car wash or other event in your neighborhood, at work or at school with the proceeds designated to benefit the MBCC.
- Don’t forget to pledge yourself!
- And be sure to send out a follow-up email or letter after the event to let everyone know how it all went. People who forgot to contribute before the event may be inspired to donate after the event. MBCC welcomes donations at all times!